Just like everything you get good at, after a while you forget what it was in the beginning. Same happened with me. I absolutely forgot how great of a hobby I had a few years ago. My hobby was to stretch myself, i.e. go out of my comfort zone in every possible way. And let me tell you, it’s a lot of fun overcoming your own fears. Here are a few quick and easy ways to get in the game:
1. Call someone you don’t want to – We all have those crossed out names from our list of contacts, with age old stories and complicated interpersonal relations. When you think of calling then, you can almost experience a panic attack. If you’ve already imagined your horror movie experience, then you know what you should do. Call them! You can even meet with them.
2. Do something you can’t – One thing distinguishes those who succeed and those who don’t. Those who do don’t know the meaning of the word CAN”T. They understand it as “try again” or “watch me doing it” or “there has to be another way”. What a better way to train yourself to be successful. Do something you know you can’t. My own example is – I can’t swim. But, when I was in Bahamas, I snorkeled and I also dived (with a sub). Once in a lifetime experience!
3. Do something you hate – You can’t like everything you do. There is always something . However, when you tell yourself that you hate doing something, you draw a line and start avoiding this activity at all cost. For example, if you hate waking up early, or doing household chores, you will most probably organize your whole life around keeping your distance from what you don’t like to manifest. The question here is, do you want those activities, or circumstances to have power over you?
4. Learn something new – some of my favorite excuses are – “I don’t need this” and “I don’t have time for that”. Of course you don’t. The chance is , you never will. And whether you need it or not. Is this what is important here? Life is experience. And you can choose to experience life or to have the experiences pass you by. Challenge yourself, learn new things and in the end, all the brain activity will help you have rich memories. Discovvering new passions your can learn more about 9s great to keep your pasion for life alive.Learning and doing something new are entrenched. Every month do something new- change your favorite sleeping position, change “your” place on the table, change the route you take to work, etc.
5. Say yes to opportunities – opportunities knock on our door constantly. But what happens is, when we get too comfortable in having our life being in the way it is right now, we stop paying attention to those opportunities. When someone offers us to use the elevator, we automatically say no – because we always use the stairs. And right there – an opportunity is lost, gone forever. You can’t turn back time. So, what you can do is say yes to every opportunity that comes your way for a week. Say yes, even if you can’t say know but if you could you would. Be ready to help out others, run chores for them, and be kind and courteous. And when someone smiles at you, be ready to smile back at themTsvetanka Petrova, CPC The Start-up Set up Coach
=> Enjoyed this article? Read the practical tips in the weekly newsletter. Register